Butternut Squash Soup
I love a good soup for meal prep and this one makes enough for the whole family or a week of lunches! You can whip up a pot of this Spicy Butternut Squash Soup on the weekend and then look forward to eating this flavorful, rich soup all morning
– 2 tbsp olive oil
– 3 medium onions, chopped
– 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
– 1 medium butternut squash, peeled + seeded, cut into 1-inch pieces
– 5½ cups low-sodium organic vegetable broth
– 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
– 3 fresh thyme sprigs, leaves removed and chopped, stem discarded (divided use)
– 6 tsp reduced-fat (2%) plain yogurt
Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat.
Add onions; cook, stirring frequently, for 8-10 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
Add garlic and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
Add squash, broth, and red pepper flakes; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and gently boil, covered, for 25-30 minutes or until squash is soft. Remove from heat.
Place soup in a blender or food processor in 4 or more batches, as necessary; cover with lid and kitchen towel. Blend until smooth.
Return soup to saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tsp thyme and cook, stirring constantly, until soup is hot.
Season with salt and pepper if desired.
Ladle soup into 6 serving bowls. Garnish each with 1 tsp yogurt and sprinkle all bowls with remaining 2 tsp of thyme.
Makes 6 servings.