Useful food items to have on hand for healthy eating:
Did you see my snack ideas? Check them out HERE
- Chicken – preferably breasts but thighs will do as long as you de fat them!
- Turkey – ground, prepared meat balls, breasts
- Chicken or turkey sausages – (<140 calories per sausage)
- Fish – (I started buying pre portioned Salmon and Mahi Mahi from Costco so it is always in my freezer)
- Multigrain Waffles
- Whole wheat bread
- home made pesto cubes
- Eggs / Egg whites
- Low Fat Milk or Unsweetened Almond Milk
- Natural Peanut Butter and/ or Almond Butter
- Reduced Fat Spreadable Cheese or Cream Cheese
- Cheese sticks
- Lettuce and spinach
- Home made salad dressing
- Broccoli – any vegetables your family enjoys regularly
- Apples, oranges, melons – any seasonal fruit that your family enjoys
- Reduced fat yogurt/ Greek yogurt/ Cottage Cheese
- Whole wheat tortilla shells
- Parmesan Cheese
- Daily Sunshine
- Whole Wheat Pasta
- Brown Rice
- Pasta Sauce (make sure it there is not much added sugar)
- Whole Grain Cereals
- Tuna (in water/ not oil) and/ or salmon
With these foods you can make a wide variety of snacks and meals. Here are my Super Easy regulars:
Easy slow cooker meals involve pork or chicken, 1/4 cup water or stock – 8 hours on low… when ready shred with 2 forks and add a sauce you and your family enjoy. Serve over brown rice with steamed broccoli or in a tortilla shell with some black beans, salsa and shredded lettuce.
Cook quinoa – Steam spinach. Put in bowl with some chopped veggies and a drizzle of Balsamic Vinaigrette.
Cook pasta, add broccoli in last 3 minutes of cooking… grill chicken sausage at the same time. Heat pasta sauce. Serve pasta, add sauce, broccoli around edges, sausage sliced on top, sprinkle Parmesan if desired.
Put on brown rice, thaw salmon pieces and pesto. Spread pesto over salmon – put on foil and BBQ for ~10 min. Steam veggies.
Check out some other recipes I have posted under “My Recipes” at http://GetFitWithNicola.com
These are my GO TO recipes. Quick, no brainers, almost always an option.
Appliances I love:
- Instant pot – I am the queen of last minute so this allows frozen to cooked in 30 minutes!
- Rice cooker – the rice always turns out perfect
- Slow cooker – if I remember to turn it on dinner is a piece of cake
- BBQ – heats quickly and easy to clean
- Hand blender – for my Shakeology 🙂
If you are not good at choosing a meal then get the tools you need to help you.
- Check out the blog on Beachbody on Demand! Yes, you have to be a member but it is worth every penny between recipes, tips and tools and workouts!
- Use the nutrition guide that came with your Beachbody program – it is designed to help you succeed
- Search online at sites such as All Recipes, Cooking Light, Clean Eating, Epicurious… just search a food and go or PINTEREST! I tag my recipes here!
- Buy some recipe books – my current faves are: The Best of Clean Eating, The Karma Chow, most Tosca Reno Books and Fixate. Look at reviews before you buy, borrow them from the library. Just start looking.
The only way to stay on track with your nutrition is to set yourself up for success by planning ahead! I never leave the house without my water bottle and a healthy snack! and check out this post on setting your nutrition up for success!